The modern consumer knows that they don’t have to tolerate bad customer service anymore, and businesses are feeling the burn. A Harris Interactive/RightNow survey found 89%of customers have gone to a competitor due to bad service while 50% of customers will give a brand only one week to respond to a question before they stop doing business with them altogether. In all, bad customer service costs $84 billion per year in the U.S.
We’d sum up bad service as…
- No real people (Dial 9 if you’re tired of listening to recorded messages!)
- Long wait times (And who on earth chose that horrific hold music?)
- Poor attention (Could you repeat the question?)
- Inexperienced agents (Could you spell “business” for me?)
In fact, 75% of customers believe it takes too long to reach a live person. And even then, 50% of customer service agents fail to answer customer questions. It’s a disaster, folks!
Fortunately, there are contact center solutions available for every business at every budget. To make sure you’re avoiding these common customer service faux pas, look for a phone system that offers, at minimum these key features:
- Actionable reporting. Identify call trends with real-time dashboards and daily reports to change your evil ways
- Skill-based routing. Increase productivity by sending more calls to experienced staff.
- Barge, Monitor, Whisper. I dedicated an entire blog post to this essential feature just last week! Check it out.
To find out if these call center features are right for you, take this quick and easy quiz!